The School Facilities Division (SFD) assists school districts in the assessing, planning, financing, construction and maintenance of educational facilities across Wyoming.
Working under the direction of the School Facilities Commission (SFC), the SFD is responsible for implementing policies, guidelines, and standards adopted by the Commission, helping districts develop comprehensive, long range facility plans, maintaining a school facilities database comprised of building and facility specific information, and many other duties as outlined in W.S. 21-15-123.
Established as part of the SFC in 2002, the SFD became an independent agency in 2011 when the Legislature enacted Senate File 0110. Further legislation in 2016 made School Facilities a division of a new agency: the State Construction Department (SCD), who also oversees the Construction Management division (CM).
Throughout its evolution, the SFD's core mission has been to provide quality K-12 educational facilities for children across Wyoming. And to that end, the department works to assist school districts in the planning, assessing, financing, construction, and maintenance of schools and support buildings.
Your School Districts - Our Clients
The SFD serves a unique clientele of 48 school districts. These are home to over 92,000 K-12 students and over 26 million square feet of educational facilities.
Since 2002, the state has allocated over $3.6 billion for school facilities program, including appropriations for planning, design, construction, land purchases, and infrastructure (roads, sewers, water supply, telecommunications).
School districts are found in each of Wyoming's 23 counties. Explore the websites to learn more about our district clients.
Wyoming School Districts
Annual Reports & Budget Requests
Annual Reports & Budget Requests
As required under W.S. 21-115-19, each year the School Facilities Commission and SFD submit an Annual Report and Budget Request to the Legislature and sitting governor. This includes funding recommendations for capital construction, component, and major maintenance projects, along with other important information.
- SFC 2018 Annual Report/2019-20 Supplemental Budget Request (UPDATED)
- SFC 2018 Annual Report/2019-20 Supplemental Budget Request (DRAFT)
- 2017 Annual Report & 2019-20 Biennial Budget Request
- 2017-2018 Supplemental Budget Request_Updated August 29 2016
- 2017-2018 Budget Recommendations from the governor & Select Committee
- 2015 Annual Report & 2017-2018 Biennial Budget Request
- 2014 Annual Report & 2015-2016 Supplemental Budget Request
- Proposed 2013 SFC Annual Report & 2015-16 Biennial Budget Request
- 2012 SFC Annual Report & 2014 Supplemental Budget Request
- 2011 SFC Annual Report & 2013-14 Budget Presentation
- 2010 SFC Annual Report and 2011 Supplemental Budget Request
- 2009 SFC Annual Report and 2011-12 Budget Presentation
Studies & Reports
- School Safety Summit Report - August 8, 2018
- Governor Report: October 20, 2016
- Report to the Joint Education Interim Committee - June 14, 2016
- Opinion Report of Wyoming K-12 Security Assessment_June 2015
- 2014 University of Wyoming Estimation of WSFD Future Revenue Streams and Department Expenditure Needs: 2017-2022
- Facilities Condition Assessment Report (Draft)
- Enrollment Study
- Wyoming Enrollment Projection Methods
- Adequacy Standards Perceptions Survey Summary
- Adequacy Standards Draft Report to the Select Committee October 29, 2014
Capitalization & Asset Preservation Study
In October 2014, the Select Committee on School Facilities directed SFD to review current policies and practices regarding the maintenance of school facilities with the purpose of further preserving the assets invested by the State of Wyoming.
In response, SFD contracted 21st Century School Fund to develop a white paper on asset preservation and capitalization, along with an introductory brochure about the School Facilities Program. Below are links to each:
School Safety and Security Study
Following a direct request from the Wyoming Legislature, the SFD hired a consultant to conduct a comprehensive security assessment of K-12 school facilities throughout the state.
The assessment was performed by Facility Engineering Associates, PC (FEA) from March through mid-May 2015. Below are documents associated with this assessment.
- Wyoming K-12 School Security Projects - Process Outline.
- Wyoming K-12 Schools Security Remedy Guide 2015-2016
- Security Project Questions and Answers November 2017
- Wyoming School Security Fund Deployment Presentation August 2015
- Meeting Agenda Security Project Funding/ Deployment August 2015
- Opinion Report of Wyoming K-12 Security Assessment June 2015
- Security Systems Assessment Reference Guide June 9 2015
- Assessment Overview and Summary of Assessment Procedures_February 2015
- Assessment Introduction/ Kickoff Letter January 2015
- Security Standards for Wyoming K-12 Schools October 2014