School Facilities Commission
As the result of rulings made by the Wyoming Supreme Court, the responsibility for school construction shifted from local school districts to the state, which created a need for an oversight agency.
The School Facilities Commission (SFC) was established in 2002 when the 56th Legislature enacted House Bill 0043. It was created to ensure adequate and equitable K-12 educational facilities throughout the state.
The Commission consists of seven voting members who are appointed by the sitting governor and approved by the Legislature. In addition to the voting members, the state Superintendent of Public Instruction serves in an ex officio, nonvoting capacity. Each appointed member serves a four-year term.
Vision, Mission, and Principles
To provide collaborative support and leadership to build and maintain Wyoming's inventory of high quality school facilities which best serve the needs of Wyoming students.
To partner with Wyoming school districts to ensure the efficient, flexible, and responsible flow of funds to build and maintain cost-effective, adequate and equitable school facilities that best serve the needs of Wyoming students.
- Customer-service orientation
- Open and collaborative communication between the department and districts
- An environment of respect and trust
- Transparent processes
- Responsible stewardship of state funds
- Focus on solutions
- Creating flexibility to achieve goals while complying with rules and statutes
Commission Meetings & Materials
Wyoming statute requires the School Facilities Commission to meet at least once per quarter. However, the current Commission meets on a bi-monthly basis; with meetings taking place over a two-day period.
The first day is an informal work session where Commissioners are briefed on 1) items that will require official action and 2) items that are only being presented for informational purposes. Then, on the second day, the Commission holds a formal business meeting to vote on various action items on the agenda.
If you would like to present an action or information item to the Commission:
- Send an email request to Shelly Lovato at email@example.com. Your email should be accompanied by a letter that is: 1) composed on district letterhead, 2) clearly outlines your request/issue, and 3) signed by the district superintendent.
- Due dates for requests vary from month to month.
- If you are requesting an acknowledgement of enhancement(s), please contact your SFD project manager before submitting your request.
- Also provide any supporting information that will help the Commission better understand the request/issue being presented.
- Since the information you provide will be included in the SFC meeting packet, we ask that documents be submitted in an electronic format and limited to 10 letter sized pages.
- SFD will review and forward your information to the Commission Chair for further review and final inclusion on the agenda.
- To help ensure the Commission has time to address all agenda items, please limit your presentation to 15-20 minutes.
Upcoming 2019 Meeting Schedule & Materials (Dates/Locations are Subject to Change)
Prior 2019 Meeting Materials(Items added as approved by the commission)
Notice of Intent to Renumber the Rules and Regulations of the School Facilities Commission
The School Facilities Commission will be renumbering its Rules and Regulations in order to better reflect the organization of the State Construction Department and the Programs that pertain to school facilities and capital construction. In the future, the SCD will be able to promulgate rules that apply to all three divisions of the Department: Construction Management, School Facilities, and Operations under SCD’s Agency Number (027) as Program 0002.
- Notice of intent to adopt rules
- Statement of principal reasons
- Proposed reorganized rules (clean)
- Proposed reorganized rules (strike-through)
- Interested persons may present their views on the intended action by submitting written comments to the State Construction Department at 700 West 21st St. Cheyenne, WY 82002 or by providing comments electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written comments will be accepted until 5:00pm on November 4, 2019.
- Interested persons who wish to express their views on the intended action in person may attend the public hearing on this rule reorganization that will be held prior to the School Facilities Commission meeting in Jackson on November 6th from 8:30am to 9:30am.
Rules & Regulations