School Facilities Commission
As the result of rulings made by the Wyoming Supreme Court, the responsibility for school construction shifted from local school districts to the state, which created a need for an oversight agency.
The School Facilities Commission (SFC) was established in 2002 when the 56th Legislature enacted House Bill 0043. It was created to ensure adequate and equitable K-12 educational facilities throughout the state.
The Commission consists of seven voting members who are appointed by the sitting governor and approved by the Legislature. In addition to the voting members, the state Superintendent of Public Instruction serves in an ex officio, nonvoting capacity. Each appointed member serves a four-year term.
Vision, Mission, and Principles
To provide collaborative support and leadership to build and maintain Wyoming's inventory of high quality school facilities which best serve the needs of Wyoming students.
To partner with Wyoming school districts to ensure the efficient, flexible, and responsible flow of funds to build and maintain cost-effective, adequate and equitable school facilities that best serve the needs of Wyoming students.
- Customer-service orientation
- Open and collaborative communication between the department and districts
- An environment of respect and trust
- Transparent processes
- Responsible stewardship of state funds
- Focus on solutions
- Creating flexibility to achieve goals while complying with rules and statutes
Commission Meetings & Materials
Wyoming statute requires the School Facilities Commission to meet at least once per quarter. However, the current Commission meets on a bi-monthly basis; with meetings taking place over a two-day period.
The first day is an informal work session where Commissioners are briefed on 1) items that will require official action and 2) items that are only being presented for informational purposes. Then, on the second day, the Commission holds a formal business meeting to vote on various action items on the agenda.
If you would like to present an action or information item to the Commission:
- Send an email request to Shelly Lovato at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should be accompanied by a letter that is: 1) composed on district letterhead, 2) clearly outlines your request/issue, and 3) signed by the district superintendent.
- Due dates for requests vary from month to month.
- If you are requesting an acknowledgement of enhancement(s), please contact your SFD project manager before submitting your request.
- Also provide any supporting information that will help the Commission better understand the request/issue being presented.
- Since the information you provide will be included in the SFC meeting packet, we ask that documents be submitted in an electronic format and limited to 10 letter sized pages.
- SFD will review and forward your information to the Commission Chair for further review and final inclusion on the agenda.
- To help ensure the Commission has time to address all agenda items, please limit your presentation to 15-20 minutes.
2020 SFC Meeting Schedule & Materials (Dates & Locations are Subject to Change. Items added as approved by the commission)
June 24 ~ Webinar
July 22-23 ~ Big Horn
Work session and Budget meeting
September 16-17 ~ Kemmerer
Work session and Business meeting
November 4-5 ~ Wheatland
Work session and Business meeting
Past 2020 Meetings
Rules & Regulations